You know those day when you are in the house, it’s cold outside and all you want to do is curl up with a warm blanket? Those are also the days where my fridge and cupboard doors open about once every 30 minutes!
The winter months can be long and well lets face it, de-motivating when it comes to diet and exercise!
I feel like my internal cave women tells me to eat so i can fatten up for the cold…..”Hey Claudia, what are you worried about your ass, thighs and stomach for?….you are NOT putting on a bikini anytime soon!…Just curl up with a bag of chips and layer an extra blanket on this body.”
The honest truth is that this type of snacking is occurring more out of boredom than anything else.
Snacking is the first problem but the second is working out! I am tired after work, it gets dark early, plus it’s cold and I need to put on soo many layers…..who has the time or energy for this charade!?
So the question is, how do you stay on track without tipping the scales?
If you haven’t already, be sure to download my FREE guide on 5 Tricks to Lose 5 Pounds in Two Weeks.
Now, here are my 5 tips to avoid the winter weight gain and stay on track with your goals!
- Surround yourself with the right options! It’s really easy to demolish an entire bag of chips or candy but I can bet you aren’t going to overdo it on a veggie platter! The point is that if there are certain snack foods you can’t resist and there is not self-control when you are faced with them….then the solution is simple…stop offering them to yourself! These snacks should be enjoyed occasionally as a treat and not stored in your cupboards. Instead, keep things like veggies with hummus, oatmeal with berries, rice cakes with all natural almond butter and whole fruit in your fridge and pantry. You can check out some of my healthy recipes for banana nut muffins or chocolate protein bars.
2. Reward yourself! Yes, that’s right…..I want you to be nice to you! Think about something you want to do to treat yourself right…..it could be a manicure, a massage, a long bubble bath, a face mask, etc. Treat meals are great but they aren’t the only way to celebrate your hard work and success. Think about other types of ‘treats’ you can enjoy that are not food related. Instead of beating ourselves up about what we coulda, shoulda, woulda done….let’s do things that are good for our mind, body and soul!
3. Develop a few go-to home workout routines. For the days when you are just not making it to that spin class…have your back-up plan ready to go! It can be a workout DVD you like to follow or something cool you found online or in a magazine. Having a few options for your workout that don’t just involve going to the gym will make it easier to stick to your routine. Also, check out my at-home fat-torching workouts.
4. Engage in the buddy system! Support and accountability are so important when it comes to achieving your fitness goals. Find a friend or family member that can help you stay committed and accountable to your goals. How awesome is it to have that girlfriend you can call up and vent to?….that person that can understand how hard it is to say no to all the treats you had dangled in front of your face at the office that day! Your buddy is also someone to book workout dates with so that the trip to the gym is a little more fun and exciting….they will also help you stick to your schedule cause you don’t want to bail on your date!
5. Plan, plan, plan! As long as you plan out your meals and workouts in advance, you are more likely to stick to it. Make yourself a priority and schedule time to take care of you!
Give these tricks a try and let me know what you think!