Cold weather means cozy socks and yummy comfort food!
I love warm and hardy dishes but try to avoid packing on the pounds along the way.
This is my version of shepherd’s pie that takes the carbs down to almost nada and is full of healthy fats, protein and fibre!
1 package extra lean ground beef (you can also use turkey)
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 white onion
2 gloves of garlic
2 stalks of celery
2 large carrots
1 cup baby spinach
1/2-1 cup beef stock or red wine
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 head of cauliflower
1 cup almond milk
1 tbsp grass-fed butter (optional)
Himalaya pink sea salt and pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to a large pan and place on high heat
- Chop garlic, onion, carrots and celery and add to pan
- Let veggies cook for 5-8 mins or until softened before adding ground meat
- Put a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil
- Chop cauliflower into small florets and add to the boiling water for about 10 minutes or until soft
- Once cauliflower is cooked, drain water and add to blender with almond milk
- Blend until smooth and pour into a bowl. For some extra decadence, stir-in butter and dijon mustard
- Once the ground meat is browned, add spinach, stock or red wine, tomato paste and seasonings (salt, pepper, smoked paprika, hot sauce)
- Allow mixture to simmer and thicken for another 5-10 minutes, then pour into a deep baking pan
- Spread evenly and top with an even layer of cauliflower mixture
- Place under broiler for 5-10 minutes or until top is slightly browned
- Serve and enjoy!
** Makes 4 servings
Nutritional Information per serving:
250 calories, 14g carbs, 10g of fat, and 30g protein